Friday, October 7, 2011

From naf-wolf to nifty-wellington: a framing revamp

I like to pick up nicely shaped picture frames from second hand shops because often with a lick of paint or a refurb, they will look good as new. It seems a terrible waste that they are just thrown out so it makes sense to use these no-longer-loved frames and make them loved once more.

One such frame I picked up at the recycle shop for $2. It was pretty hideous to be frank, grey frame and with terribly naf images of some American Indian wolf baying at the American Indian moon (apologies to the artist - its a subjective assessment). It had also received some water damage so the picture was going mouldy and icky inside. Even I had to wonder when I picked it up if this was my best investment.

I removed the picture and gave the frame the classic white paint treatment. I then got a sheet of cardboard to use as the mounting - using the mouldy version for a template so I knew it was spaced correctly - and cut out the squares for the pictures.

I faffed a bit on what to put in but I'm delighted with the choice. I had found a book called "Points of View" at a recent book fair. It was full of sketches of spots around New Zealand, cityscapes and country churches etc. The book was only $4 and I bought it with the intention of taking some of those pictures and putting them on the wall. (Sorry to all those purists - I did feel like a heathen destroying a book but there seemed little point having lovely pictures hidden away in a book on the shelf) .

There were 3 nice shots of Wellington (one of Oriental Bay, one of a Thorndon street, and one of the tug boat in the harbour). These were too ideal not to use. I have used an old bit of cardboard box to be the back of the frame and I still need to quickly restring the back so it hangs vertically rather than horizontally.

All in all I am totally delighted with the outcome. From a discarded frame and a discarded book, the result is just brilliant. I know exactly where this will go (once the wall plastered and painted of course).




No comments:

Post a Comment