Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Enough - feet up - faccio niente

So yay that's it. That's my sewing room pretty much done. Here are my before and after shots.


Before
After



Before

After

Before

After

I think I can put my feet up and get back to something a little bit more fun.

I visited my brother in San Diego a few weeks ago and I was watching Eat Pray Love again on the plane (for want of anything better to pass the hours).  It reminded me of the phrase they stress in the Italian section "la dolce far niente" - the sweetness of doing nothing. 

The idea really resonates - to be calm and do little. I am such a fidget britches and have such a long list of things I want to do, to try, or to finish, that the thought of spending time not doing anything, and not trying to accomplish something, is much more difficult than it sounds. Well it sounds grand, but then I think "oh, I could start that...." or "I could try to do a little bit of that....". For example, I get the Saturday paper delivered because I like the idea of sitting and sipping coffee and leisurely reading the paper.  I never manage to get through more than one section and then it just gets used under the weedmat in the garden.

So this is my new aim. To allocate some time every weekend to not have to achieve an outcome - read a book, or snooze in the sun. That's my pledge.





No comments:

Post a Comment