Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My new cowl neck top

A few weeks ago a friend and I managed to wangle ourselves off to a Fashion Workshop lesson on copycat pattern making. Jen's Fashion Workshop does a number of workshops and lessons and does a great job of finding those subjects that those of us sitting at home quite want to know. I had been meaning to try and copy a grey top I bought in Paris years ago that is very plain but straddles casual, work and evening. I thought I might be able to manage it. This was a great impetus to finally get that top done. Jen teaches you in this how to copy tops and trousers from your existing favourite items. I sewed up this top using the pattern I made. Jen had taught us to measure the ajoining seams to make sure they match but I forgot once I got home and my only glitch was the sleeves - I didn't measure the arm hole compared to the top of the sleeves and the sleeves ended up being bigger. So I had to do a bit of emergency mid-sew gathering at the top of the sleeve but it looks ok. Plus I was quite fond of the length of the sleeves as is and didn't want them shorter so I just did a rolled hem on the sleeves and the neck rather than a proper turned up hem, which gives it a bit of a raw finish but I quite like it. Thanks Jen. I'd recommend Jen's courses to anyone and I hope to do another this term sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment