Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Patchwork cushions

I am still very fond of patchwork. Often relegated to the realm of doilies and folksy patterns, the combinations and colours can so effectively be used in patchwork to create something beautiful.


While overseas one becomes naturally very patriotic, and New Zealanders certainly seem to become embrace the kiwiana vibe. I found a fabric store in London that was selling New Zealand fabric designs which I immediately had to have. Using those – and still with my hand stitching approach – I made a few cushion covers to remind me of home. They were popular and so became a present for expats in London.



I have repeated the same kind of concept again now, inspired by some bundles of fabric I found as I patrolled the stores of Wellington, on a line of cushions which I hope capture some of the niceness of simple patchwork. I think they work – they look stylie, homely, but also not totally ‘mummsy’.

I hope to be organised enough to get these up for sale soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment