Thursday, December 20, 2012

Wonderful book from Alabama Studio

My goodness.   Thank you Alabama Studio.


In the true spirit of Christmas (????) I have committed that common crime of buying myself a Xmas present or two perhaps more often that I bought one for someone else.   I go shopping so rarely that being forced into the world of shops and pretty goods - I find myself going "ohhh, that's nice - might get that for myself" with frightening frequency. Not confined to physical shops, it also happened when I was online finding some books for friends and family.   I have ended with 3 for myself.... is this so wrong?

However, I can't feel bad about it because one of those books was Alabama Studio Sewing + Design by Natalie Chanin.   I found it very difficult to focus at work today once I opened the Alabama Studio book and couldn't wait to get home, tuck in to a chair, and get reading.

I have devoured this book.   It is truly hands-down the most helpful, un-naff, stylish, creative sewing book I have read to date.   No more frilly apron patterns or plastic bag holders - these guys have packed so many useful hints, tips, techniques, and styles into this book I feel I need to say thanks irrespective of having paid for the book.   The instructions for stitch styles are very clear.   The designs are effective.   And the generosity of laying bare all these wonderful ideas just makes you feel lucky to read the book (in a day of meagre offerings and stretching things out to make more money - it is so enjoyable to find a book that keeps giving on every single page).

I am very keen to try out some of these techniques which will all be very new to me.   If I can get myself organised in the next week, I might be able to take a few portable projects with me to pass some time whilst camping over the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment