Sunday, July 24, 2011

A new lease on life for that fav old t-shirt

I have a particular T-shirt that I have loved for quite some time. It has an image of a wee girl on it - that classic type of image that was always on writing paper sets ..... when I was growing up and receiving writing paper sets was the norm. Its got such a little girl charm about it.

However, in the last few years I wore it less and less. The length of the t-shirt meant it hovered just around my waist and this always made me nervous. Not only do I feel more comfortable in layers and lengthy tops, but its my theory that no one wants to see the midriff of those of us over-30 years old, unless you are in the bedroom, on the beach in togs, you survive on a diet of lentils and hours of yoga, or you are a belly dancer. So I wondered if I could hold on to my treasured t-shirt but give it a bit of a length-update to see if it was then still wearable in an over-30 type way.

I plonked for a somewhat slap-dash approach of adding a thick ribbing waistband at the bottom. I used the theory that the ribbing should be about 2/3 of the width of the distance you are sewing, and simply overlocked it to the base of the t-shit. It has added length and I've worn it all day. Yay- the t-shirt lives again. An excellent way to avoid having to survive on a diet of lentils and hours of yoga.


(Yip, I'm wearing my PJs in this photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment