Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Photo to Fabric

My dear mother had kids in the 70s amongst hand printed fabric and hand-sewn clothes. Whilst I get the feeling she is somewhat baffled to see her daughter enjoying crafts and sewing decades on, she is also one of those treasured people who encourage your enjoyments, however daft.

She gave me a book the other night she’d bought on a whim which she thought I might like called “Photo-inspired Art Quilts” be Leni Levenson Wiener. I quite enjoyed the book and on a night this week when I thought I couldn’t listen to the grind of the sewing machine, I started to give the idea a go. Its a quiet pastime.

Despite the teachings in the book, I haven’t thought things through or mapped things out to make sure they work - it’s a first go after all, I’m surely allowed to make mistakes.

I chose an industrial photo of Battersea Power Station in London. Leni talks about applying a photoshop filter to break the photo down to its essential colours. This is the outcome after the filter I’ll be trying to render in fabric scraps. Hmmmm, might work or might be a total disaster. Watch this space – I’ll be honest either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment